Wednesday 9 September 2009

Four of Hearts - Patriotic

The theme was of course chosen by an American lady - it was July 4th week... Unsuitable for a childhood in Germany - the journal tells why: "As a child of the Sixties in Germany I was brought up with the idea that patriotism is altogether despicable. Folklore and folk culture had been brought into disrepute due to Hitler’s connection with them and use of them in propaganda. Our folk tales, dialects, festivals and dances all were in bad flavour and even the great Nordic epics were taken off the curriculums. There were certainly no national holidays or parades. It was rare to even see women wearing our national dress, the Dirndl, as my Mum and I do in the photo. I’ve still got one of those and love wearing it for formal occasions.
Photo Summer 1968"

Finally got some use for this "German Collage" paper I bought ages ago; blue scrap from CS "Stepping Out"; peel-off alphas from Craft Creations; and a pretzl button from Dress It Up. Ribbon from my haberdashery box...

No comments:

Post a Comment